The Horizon Foundation is currently hiring for a Chief Financial & Administrative Officer. Please view the position description and application instructions below.
Title: Chief Financial & Administrative Officer
Type: Exempt, Full-time
Reports to: President & CEO
Position Location: Columbia, Maryland
The Horizon Foundation is the largest independent health philanthropy in Maryland. We lead community change so that everyone in Howard County can live a longer, better life. We are committed to improving health through our innovative initiatives, collaborative partnerships, strategic grantmaking and thoughtful advocacy. Our work is driven by the community’s needs and is shaped around strategic solutions that promise the greatest, lasting impact on physical and mental health in our community. Our initiatives are based on research that demonstrates the potential impact they can have on preventing illness, encouraging health or both.
The Horizon Foundation has an endowment of approximately $90 million and an annual budget of $5.2 million. We are seeking a Chief Financial and Administrative Officer (CFAO) to be a part of the senior executive team, reporting directly to the Chief Executive Officer (CEO). The CFAO directs multiple internal functions including finance and accounting, human resources and operations and consults with outside experts as needed. We are seeking a dynamic senior executive who is a strategic thinker, is committed to our mission, is a good communicator, and brings creative approaches to problem-solving.
Finance and Accounting
- Direct overall financial functions including accounting, budget and audit.
- Ensure compliance with internal controls, policies and procedures. Research and recommend revisions or new policies as needed.
- Staff the Budget, Investment and Audit Committees of the Board of Trustees.
- Responsible for successful audit. Coordinate all audit-related activities. Review draft audited financial statements prior to CEO signature. Work closely with auditor on the preparation and submission of the 990 and related tax documents.
- Oversee the preparation, implementation and monitoring of the annual budget with the CEO. Develop the operating budget and assist senior staff with the program budgets. Present budget and justification and quarterly expense reports to Budget Committee and Board of Trustees. Report to Board and Treasurer as needed.
- Prepare quarterly and annual expense reports. Forecast expenses and justify budget variances.
- Assess and implement technology solutions to streamline financial operations and reporting.
- Supervise contract accountant to ensure that all accounting transactions including accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll and investment activity are properly recorded.
- Liaise with our external investment manager and support execution of the Investment Policy.
- Manage all bank accounts and ensure that monthly reconciliations are completed and reviewed.
- Design, plan and implement human resources programs and policies for staffing, compensation, benefits, 401(k) plan, employee relations and health and safety. Perform strategic role in managing staff and maintaining workplace culture and a healthy work environment. Serve as point of contact for all HR-related inquiries and issues.
- Maintain appropriate internal controls and personnel procedures. Comply with various federal, state and local labor laws and reporting requirements.
- Assure that staff compensation is in compliance with the approved salary structure and competitive with peer organizations. Update structure periodically and participate in relevant salary surveys. Work with HR consultants as needed.
- Communicate compensation and benefits specifics, including 401(k) deferred contributions to outsourced payroll company semi-monthly. Record payroll and allocate to budgets.
- Participate as an active member of the senior executive team.
- Staff the Board of Trustees and its Executive Committee. Understand and interpret Bylaws.
- Identify and implement policies and procedures to improve the overall operation and effectiveness of office functions. Identify administrative challenges and develop solutions.
- Supervise the Administrative and Financial Associate.
- Manage the physical infrastructure and systems including relations with landlord, telecommunications, technology and IT support.
- Enhance decision making by retrieving and analyzing historical data.
- Provide technical and professional advice to and share knowledge with staff.
- Ensure that insurance policies are adequate and provide liaison with broker.
- Consult with legal counsel on a variety of issues as needed.
The Chief Financial and Administrative Officer will have 10+ years of experience and the following experience and attributes:
- Commitment to the mission of the Foundation
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Qualities of integrity and resourcefulness
- A creative and proactive problem solver who takes initiative and tackles challenges
- Experience collaborating in an executive-level dynamic team
- An effective communicator with strong oral, written and interpersonal skills
- Superior management skills and ability to influence and engage others
- Trained in and demonstrated experience across multiple disciplines preferably in the nonprofit sector
- Ability and willingness to take on assignments across the spectrum of office management
- Experience with Quickbooks
- Knowledgeable of all aspects of Human Resources management
- Master’s degree in business or related field
To apply, please email a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, Feb. 15, 2019, with the subject line Chief Financial & Administrative Officer.
The Horizon Foundation is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, religion or national origin. People of color, people with disabilities and LGBTQ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.