Title: Communications Officer
Type: Exempt, Full-time
Supervisor: Director of Communications
Position Location: Columbia, Maryland
At the Horizon Foundation, we are leading community change so that everyone in Howard County can live a longer, better life. As the largest independent health philanthropy in Maryland, we run innovative initiatives, collaborative partnerships, strategic grantmaking and thoughtful advocacy – all geared toward improving health and wellness in our community.
When you join the Horizon Foundation, you are joining a team that is committed to addressing serious health challenges in Howard County. Our track record shows we are making progress. For example, we successfully piloted fresh fruit and salad bars and new school lunch menus, leading to the school system’s expansion of the changes to all 41 elementary schools. We led a community-wide initiative to change the norms around sugary drinks that resulted in a 20 percent drop in soda sales. We advocated for a more bikeable, walkable county, leading to the highest level of county funding for bike routes in years.
We are seeking a Communications Officer to be an active contributor to this work.
Our ideal candidate has the following qualifications:
- Three years of communications experience providing both high-level strategy and effective hands-on execution of strategy and plans.
- Initiative-taker who knows how to work independently and efficiently while balancing multiple priorities in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent writer who can produce clear, concise, compelling and credible communications materials from tweets and blog posts to press releases and reports.
- Creative and proactive problem solver who can tackle challenges with a positive, can-do attitude.
- Passionate about social change and public health.
- Experienced in communications for advocacy and/or campaigns.
- Impeccable attention to detail and accuracy.
- Cares about the Howard County and broader Maryland community.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, public health, political science or related field; master’s degree a plus.
This position is responsible for:
- Managing communications for a portfolio of Foundation program and policy initiatives in close collaboration with program staff and the director of communications.
- Developing communications plans and strategies for initiatives aligned with the Foundation’s strategic goals.
- Leading and executing on a variety of communications activities such as writing, digital strategies, event planning and marketing, media relations and graphic design.
- Supporting the Foundation’s advocacy efforts through grassroots engagement, media relations and message and materials development.
- Developing content and assisting with the management of the Foundation’s website and social media channels.
- Assisting with event planning and marketing on signature events like the Mental Health Film Festival and Changemaker Challenge.
To apply, please email a resume, writing sample and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line Communications Officer Application. This position is open until filled.
The Horizon Foundation is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, religion or national origin. People of color, people with disabilities and LGBTQ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.