Horizon Foundation awards over $56,000 in new grants to support mental health and wellness in Howard County
In response to the ongoing mental health challenges posed by the COVID-19 pandemic, the Horizon Foundation recently awarded over $56,000 in new grants to 25 community organizations to launch projects to mitigate the negative effects that social isolation and physical distancing may have on the emotional wellness of residents.
These projects will address several mental health risk factors that COVID-19 has introduced into our daily lives, including economic challenges, fears about the future, lack of social connections and physical isolation. The organizations will work to help residents remain connected to one another and maintain a sense of community during this time of physical distancing and digital communication – and thus, help protect against the negative mental effects of our current environment.
“While no one yet knows the long-term effects that the COVID-19 pandemic will have on behavioral health, these stressful and uncertain times are surely impacting the health and wellbeing of our community,” said Nikki Highsmith Vernick, president and CEO of the Horizon Foundation. “We were thrilled to see such a strong response from so many local organizations seeking to meet this moment and implement solutions to help take care of their fellow Howard County residents who may be struggling.”
The following organizations received grants of up to $3,000:
- A-OK Mentoring – Tutoring, Inc.
- Center for Creative Life and Learning, Inc. – Girls on Fire Mentoring and Enrichment Program
- Channing Memorial Church, Unitarian Universalist
- Chinese American Parent Association of Howard County
- Clarksville Middle School Parent Teacher Association
- Coalition for Compassion
- Columbia Community Care
- First Presbyterian Church of Howard County
- Girls on the Run of Central Maryland
- Glen Mar Church
- HC DrugFree
- Hindu Swayamsevak Sangh USA
- Howard County Autism Society
- Howard County Conservancy
- Islamic Leadership Institute of America
- LeCheval Stable
- Maryland Turkish American Inhabitants Inc.
- Mediation and Conflict Resolution Center, Inc.
- Oakland Mills Interfaith, Inc.
- Oakland Mills Online
- PFLAG Howard County Columbia
- The Columbia Orchestra of Howard County, Inc.
- The Community Ecology Institute
- The Village in Howard County
- Wilde Lake Interfaith Religious Center, Inc.