Last call to apply for our grants!
The application period for funding to promote policy change in Howard County to fight systemic racism and improve health in our community is closing soon! The deadline to submit applications is this Thursday, October 27, 2022.
- 2022 Diabetes Prevention Advocacy Grant: The purpose of this grant is to support the Healthier Choices Coalition working to create policy change that will 1) make fresh produce more available and affordable, 2) improve school meals, and 3) warn residents about the health risks of consuming sugary drinks. Learn more about the grant requirements & apply here.
- 2022 Advancing Community Advocacy Fellowship: The purpose of this strategic opportunity is to build the organizing and advocacy capacity of community leaders and/or organizations by helping them to use their power to advance issues that matter most to them and their community. The grantee selected will become a key partner in one of the Foundation’s policy issue campaigns. Learn more about the fellowship requirements & apply here.
Communication leads to community: Lessons from ComNet22
Earlier this month, our communications team, Cat Harmon and Kerry Darragh, attended ComNet22, the annual conference for communications professionals working on issues for social change. Inspirational keynote addresses included Molly Levinson, who helped the U.S. Women’s National Soccer Team win their fight for equal pay; Stephanie Land, author of Maid; and the Innocence Project, whose work helped get Pervis Payne, a man with an intellectual disability convicted of a crime he did not commit, off death row. Read this month’s blog to hear from Cat and Kerry on their key takeaways and lessons they are bringing back to the rest of the Horizon team.
Welcome to the team, D’Paul Nibber!
We are thrilled to welcome our new senior policy and community engagement officer, D’Paul Nibber, to the Horizon Foundation team! D’Paul is a seasoned public health professional with a sincere passion for service and uplifting those who face the greatest adversity. At the Horizon Foundation, D’Paul shares in the organization’s commitment to grassroots advocacy, engaging individuals and organizations across Howard County to promote health. His work will reinforce several of the Foundation’s issue campaigns including Howard County Health Justice (health services for uninsured mothers and children), Streets for All (Complete Streets), and Mental Health Matters (school-based mental health services) – all with a focus on equity. Welcome, D’Paul!
“Advancing” our future at the Horizon Foundation
Last month, we had the honor of hosting our board, former board members, consultants and staff for a wonderful strategic planning retreat (now known as an “advance”). Thank you all for your insights, stories, and for having the courage and tenacity to think big and think deep about Horizon’s plans for the future. Stay tuned for more information about our strategic planning process that we are undertaking over the next year!
Staff picks: what we’re reading, watching and listening to
- World Corrupt (Crooked Media & Men in Blazers)
- The Darkest Hour (Netflix)
- The Redeem Team (Netflix)
- National Severe Storms Laboratory Podcasts (NOAA)
- Christina Aguilera Tackles Social Media’s Effect on Kids in Powerful New Video for 2002 Hit ‘Beautiful’ (Rolling Stone)