The Horizon Foundation is extremely grateful for your partnership. We have many reasons to celebrate, and we would like to take this time to reflect on our top 10 highlights for the year.
- Howard County’s first Bicycle Master Plan and complete streets vision statement were introduced by County Executive Allan Kittleman and unanimously approved by the County Council.
- Speak(easy) Howard kicked off with more than a dozen faith groups, health care providers and community organizations to encourage people to have conversations about the type of health care they and their loved ones would want in the future.
New lunch menus and daily fresh fruit and vegetable bars debuted at three elementary schools thanks to Howard County Public School System’s Let’s Rethink Lunch pilot program.
The Horizon Foundation joined the county and key partners to announce a Pilot Bikeshare Program coming to Columbia in 2017.
Howard County Unsweetened aired Real People Ads on TV featuring community leaders who are helping kids cut back sugary drinks and choose better beverages.
- Our CEO Nikki Highsmith Vernick spoke alongside national health leaders at a White House “Making Health Care Better” event about efforts in Howard County to promote healthy lifestyles.
- The Horizon Foundation’s first Mental Health Film Festival brought hundreds of people out in a show of compassion for people living with or impacted by mental health conditions.
- Researchers documented a 20 percent drop in soda sales in Howard County and presented their findings at the American Heart Association’s Scientific Sessions.
- Nearly 600 people and major community organizations voiced their support for the Bikeway, a 50-mile network of bike routes to make biking easier in the county.
- The Horizon Foundation invested $1 million in grantmaking to programs improving health and wellness in the county.
We are proud to be part of a community that shares our commitment to promoting health and wellness in Howard County. Thank you, and happy new year!